Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New Blog - Genealogy and family history

This blog is intended to provide a way to share genealogical "finds", ask questions, and develop leads. I hope it will be entertaining and well as useful.

My father used to say that he and his southern Illinois relations were "Hard Headed Dutchmen" refering to their stubbornness and German ancestry. I guess I am stubborn too, as I won't give up on tracing our ancestors. I searched for thirthy-five years to find the birthplace of Georg Peter Bernhard, my GG Grandfather, before I finally made a breakthrough. Once I made that connection, progress has been amazing.

My particular ancestry includes lines that go back to Germany, France, Norway, England, Scotland, Poland, Spain, Italy, Hungary, Bulgaria, Turkey, Ulster, and others. The past is truly a "Heinz 57" mix of cultures. There are Lutherans, Catholics, Calvinists, Puritans, Presbyterians, Campbellites, Hugenots, dissenters, Mormons, Baptists, and Methodists all jumbled togrther to make an american pedigree. Generally our ancestors were farmers, trademen, preachers, teachers, patriots, Tories, and soldiers, with a smattering of gentry mixed in after they emigtated to the New World.

Comments and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment